Thailand cave rescue: Recap of afternoon's events as final mission officially underway

by Wade Massey July 11, 2018, 18:09
Thailand cave rescue: Recap of afternoon's events as final mission officially underway

The Thai official overseeing the effort to rescue members of a teen soccer team trapped in a flooded cave says a third rescue operation has begun Tuesday and aims to bring out the remaining four boys and their coach. "Hooyah!" the Thai Navy Seals involved in the rescue operation posted to Facebook.

An ambulance believed to be carrying one of the rescued boys from the flooded cave heads to the hospital in Chiang Rai as divers evacuated some of the 12 boys and their coach trapped at Tham Luang cave, northern Thailand, Monday, July 9, 2018.

The saga has dominated global headlines, with the team spending nine days unaccounted for inside the cave before British divers found the emaciated and dishevelled group huddling on a muddy bank above the flooding. The rescue continued on Tuesday to get the last 4 boys and their coach out of the cave in Chiang Rai. Tuesday, referring to the name of the trapped boys' soccer team.

At that point, four of the 12 members of the soccer team remained trapped inside along with their coach.

Torrential rain had not affected conditions for the rescue operation.

With everyone now out it means a successful end to a perilous rescue mission that has gripped the world.

"The first four who were rescued can sit up in their beds by themselves".

It was unclear what time the rescue effort would resume on Tuesday, with operations chief Narongsak Osottanakorn telling reporters divers had crafted plans to extract four people at a time.

Crowds at the teeming rescue site cheer the good news, but attention soon turns to the hard task of getting the boys out safely.

Although there have been no major reported complications during the initial rescues, the death of a former Thai Navy SEAL diver who ran out of oxygen in a flooded area of the cave on Friday underscored the dangers of the journey.

None of the boys has been identified as the authorities maintain sensitivities for the families of those still in danger.

Two boys have minor lung infections and one had a fever, doctors have said.

The boys had good appetites but were mainly being given bland, easily digestible foods.

Divers have rescued eight of the boys.

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk tweeted Monday that he had visited the cave and left behind a mini-sub rescue vehicle "in case it may be useful in the future". They were given a treat on Tuesday: bread with chocolate spread that they had requested.

The eight rescued boys are healthy are in 'high spirits.' They are under constant medical supervision to eliminate any risk of infection. It is now unclear whether Musk or his technology will be used in the rescue efforts, but Musk confirmed via tweet that the submarine is in Thailand and ready to be used if needed.

Experts who previously weighed in on Musk's proposals said his team may not be of much use because of the huge numbers of experts already working on the rescue.


TOP News

George Clooney Motorcycle Crash Video, New Details Emerge

Taiwan says two USA warships pass through Taiwan Strait

James could return against England

Tony Parker signs with Hornets; Dwight Howard eyeing Washington

Trump to announce supreme court pick on 9 July

FIFA WC 2018: Uruguay eliminates Portugal

Former Barcelona boss Enrique named Spain coach

Here's a Really Dumb Conservative Meme About Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Kimi Raikkonen accepts blame for Lewis Hamilton clash

Dallas woman goes viral after playing matchmaker on plane