Louisiana AG won't charge white officers in black man's shooting death

by Abel Hampton March 28, 2018, 0:46
Louisiana AG won't charge white officers in black man's shooting death

No charges will be filed against two Baton Rouge police officers in the 2016 shooting death of Alton Sterling after an investigation determined the officers' actions were "well-founded and reasonable", Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said Tuesday. Sterling, 37, had been selling CDs outside a convenience store when he was approached by two officers, Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake II, responding to a call about a man who had threatened someone else with a gun.

Attorney General Landry's spokeswoman declined comment on a planned meeting Tuesday morning with relatives of Sterling, saying only that it will have an update at a news conference Tuesday on the investigation into his 2016 shooting death.

Landry told reporters the two Baton Rouge officers gave verbal instructions and tried non-lethal methods to subdue Sterling.

"It is reasonable that Mr".

And the Baton Rouge Police Department will hold disciplinary hearings by Friday to determine whether the officers' behavior was in line with department policy, Chief Murphy Paul said.

The death of Alton Sterling was a tragedy that evoked deep grief and anger across Baton Rouge and Louisiana. Afterwards, he's expected to give a public statement on his office's investigation into the shooting that sparked angry protests, the Associated Press reported.

Officers attempted to verbally warn Steling that he would be shot if he didn't comply, Landry said.

The struggle was captured on cellphone videos that quickly went viral, igniting protests nationwide.

Racial tensions were still simmering in Louisiana's capital when Gavin Long, a 29-year-old black military veteran from Kansas City, Missouri, ambushed police officers near a auto wash on July 17, 2016.

Sterling's aunt, Sandra Sterling, called the killing murder, and said Landry should be ashamed.

The Justice Department past year decided against bringing federal charges against officers Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake, concluding that there was "insufficient" evidence to prove that they violated Sterling's civil rights.

His death prompted national protests and outrage.

The 26-page lawsuit alleges that Salamoni and Lake breached protocol, used excessive force and violated Sterling's constitutional guarantees against unreasonable searches and seizures and of due process.

After the Justice Department said in May 2017 it would not pursue charges, Landry said he would launch a state probe into the shooting.

Federal authorities concluded there wasn't enough evidence to prove Salamoni or Lake willfully deprived Sterling of his civil rights, or that the officers' use of force was objectively unreasonable.

Paul said they will review Landry's decision and provided the next steps in the case at this point. Lake shocked Sterling with a stun gun before the officers wrestled him to the ground, according to federal investigators. Sessions has always been an opponent of criminal justice reform, but notably, much of the Sterling investigation had been concluded under President Barack Obama, whose DOJ also rarely charged officers in police shooting incidents.

Family members of a black man fatally shot in a struggle with two white police officers are railing against a decision by the state attorney general to not prosecute the officers.

March 27: Stephon Clark's death: 'Executed - for what?'


TOP News

Saturday's Elite 8 games — March Madness

Funny stories from casino

Germany expels four Russian diplomats over Skripal case

Craig Bellamy sets Liverpool FC challenge for Mohamed Salah next season

Media Associations Demand Strict Action Against Police Personnel For Molesting Jornalists

6 suspicious packages sent to U.S. military, intelligence sites

Former US Ambassador John Bolton Tapped As National Security Adviser

Britain Hails 'Turning Point' After Mass Expulsion Of Russian Diplomats

First Alert 10-Day Forecast: Another cool day on Sunday

Calif. attorney general talks suit against Trump on census