Oxfam Releases Internal Report into Its Sex Scandal & Cover-Up in Haiti

by Steven Clarke February 22, 2018, 0:36
Oxfam Releases Internal Report into Its Sex Scandal & Cover-Up in Haiti

Goldring told the committee that at the time of the original investigation into events in Haiti, Oxfam issued a press release revealing its findings of "serious misconduct" involving bullying, intimidation and breaches of the charity's code of conduct.

Oxfam revealed Tuesday it was investigating 26 new cases of sexual misconduct since the crisis erupted over its handling of a 2011 prostitution scandal in Haiti, which the British charity called a "wake-up call".

Goldring publicly apologised for the actions of charity staff who sexually exploited female victims of the 2010 natural disaster in Haiti.

"The intensity and ferocity of the attack makes you wonder, what did we do?" After all, it wasn't as if his staff had "murdered babies in their cots".

Opposition Labour politician and International Development committee chair Stephen Twigg said Goldring's comments in a newspaper interview were regarded by many as "grossly inappropriate", and on Tuesday Goldring apologised.

Asked about his comments, which led to calls for his resignation, the Oxfam executive said: "I do apologise".

Goldring and two other Oxfam executives were questioned on Monday by MPs about the sexual misconduct.

Goldring has apologized "wholeheartedly" to members for behaviour of some of ir cooperators.

Oxfam has made an official apology to the Haitian government following allegations of sexual exploitation by the organisation's staff.

The British charity's chief executive Mark Goldring told a parliamentary committee in London that 16 of the cases related to its worldwide operation.

He revealed that 7,000 individuals had cancelled direct debits to the charity in the last 10 days, and said that of the 26 cases reported, 16 had taken place in Oxfam's global programmes.

Following discussions with the Department for International Development, Oxfam yesterday said it would not seek further Government funding.

Lawrence last week resigned as deputy head of Oxfam over the scandal. "My first concern is the women of Haiti and anybody else who has been wronged as a result of Oxfam's programme". We know now that that was not enough.

When pressed on the ages of the women involved, Goldring said Oxfam's own investigations found no women were under 18, the legal age of consent in Haiti. "I wasn't in post but I apologise for that".

The director of operations in the country admitted using sex workers in his charity-funded accommodation but was given a "phased and dignified exit" as long as he fully cooperated with the investigation, Oxfam said in the report.

"The use of prostitutes in conditions of poverty and helplessness and conflict, is exploitation, it is abuse, and it's intolerable in our organisation", she told the committee.

Miss Mordaunt said that while there were "hundreds of good, fearless and compassionate people working for Oxfam", they had been "poorly served" by the charity's leadership.


TOP News

Aly Raisman has a message for victim blamers

Gervinho celebrates 2018 Chinese New Year — EXTRA TIME

Amazon gives Prime members perk at Whole Foods

Kabul hosts army chiefs for anti-terror talks

CDC shows effectiveness of flu vaccines this year

Cabot Wealth Management Inc. Has $10.87 Million Stake in Apple Inc. (AAPL)

McDonald's to Give Cheeseburger Happy Meals the Boot

NBA All-Star Saturday Night

Match in Brazil abandoned after nine players sent off following mass punch-up

FA Cup 'magic' no surprise to Pochettino after Rochdale thriller