ISIS Claims Responsibility for Knife Attack in France That Kills Two Women

by Abel Hampton October 3, 2017, 1:21
ISIS Claims Responsibility for Knife Attack in France That Kills Two Women

Since 2015, more than 230 people across France have been killed in terrorist attacks, reporter Jake Cigainero says from Paris.

The Paris prosecutor's office, which oversees all terror cases in France, said it had opened a counterterrorism investigation of the Marseille attack.

The attacks were gruesome, as the BBC relays.

Another witness described how the attacker grabbed one of his victims from behind and slit her throat. AFP, citing police officials it did not name, said the killer shouted "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Great", when he began his rampage.

"This act could be of a terrorist nature, but at this hour we cannot affirm it", The New York Times quoted Gerard Collomb, the French Interior minister, as saying.

The statement did not provide details or evidence of a direct link to the attacker.

The attack came two weeks after four young American women were attacked with acid at the same station.

People in the surrounding area have been warned to avoid Saint-Charles station, which has been evacuated and cordoned off, The Guardian reported.

Soldiers were already in the station as part of Operation Sentinelle, which sees combat troops patrol streets and protect key sites amid France's ongoing state of emergency.

Molins said "the method of the attacker" was in line with calls from the Syria-based terror group to followers in the West to strike vulnerable targets, such as train stations.

Canadian police said they were investigating violent attacks in Edmonton, Canada, on Saturday night as "acts of terrorism" after a man hit a police officer with a auto and stabbed him and then later struck four pedestrians while driving a second vehicle.

French President Emmanuel Macron said in a French-language post on Twitter that he was "deeply disgusted" by the attack.

Police sources said the suspect had shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he carried out his attack outside the railway station in southern France.

A city hall official told i24NEWS that two people died in the attack.

The main suspect in a Marseille attack in which two women were stabbed to death had been arrested and let go in Lyon two days before the assault at the train station, authorities said.


TOP News

Real Madrid defeat Espanyol in tough La Liga batle at the Bernabeu

Players that will annoy you at the casino

The 10 Best Celebrity Centerfolds: A Look Back at Playboy's Cover Stars

US Does Not Recognize Iraqi Kurdistan Referendum: Tillerson

Ryanair succumbs to CAA demands for clarification on cancellations

Man's lung lump turns out to be plastic toy

How to make a bet on chess tournament

Airport, hotel, circuit - Raikkonen sees no reason to miss Malaysian GP

Officer stabbed, pedestrians hit in Canada in suspected 'acts of terrorism'

Mario Originally Punched Yoshi's Head in SUPER MARIO WORLD