North Korea fires 'unidentified projectiles' into waters, says South Korean military

by Abel Hampton August 29, 2017, 0:45
North Korea fires 'unidentified projectiles' into waters, says South Korean military

North Korea last month fired intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the U.S. mainland, triggering heightened rhetoric from both the sides.

U.S. Pacific Command said three missiles were fired, and U.S. officials said the weapons didn't pose a threat to the United States, including its territory of Guam.

One of the three missiles blew up "almost immediately", with none of the weapons posing a threat to either North America or the USA territory of Guam, the spokesman said.

North Korea fired three short-range ballistic missiles yesterday, the USA military said, reviving tensions with Washington after President Donald Trump had said Pyongyang was starting to show some "respect". It said South Korea and US militaries were analyzing the launch and didn't immediately provide more details.

The White House said in a statement: "In regards to activity in North Korea tonight, the president has been briefed and we are monitoring the situation".

"The military is keeping a tight surveillance over the North to cope with further provocations", the South Korean defence ministry said.

North Korea had moved back from the threat to lob missiles towards Guam, but there had been concerns that hostility will flare up again during the Ulchi-Freedom Guardian drills between the allies that run until August 31.

But earlier this week the rhetoric appeared to be cooling - at least on the American side - as Trump expressed optimism about North Korea on Tuesday, saying of leader Kim Jong Un, "I respect the fact that he is starting to respect us".

It added that the missile posed no threat to the US territory of Guam, which the North had previously warned it would fire missiles toward. His comments had come soon after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the North has demonstrated some level of restraint in recent days, "that we've not seen in the past".

He said USA forces "continue to monitor North Korea's actions closely".

Seoul said the war games will continue "even more thoroughly" in response to the launch, reports The Associated Press.


TOP News

Tillerson on Gorka's Resignation Letter: 'Completely Wrong' in Assessment of Trump Policy

Paul Ryan visits Boeing, says tax reform will be done this year

Fatah Official: Jared Kushner's Mideast Peace Mission Is a 'Delusion'

The increase on a real money games at 2015 was 27%

Harzand completes Derby double at Curragh

Funny stories from casino

China and India 'pull back troops' in bid to ease border tensions

Rs. 1500 4G JioPhone bookings now open

Minister faces inquiry in Grace Mugabe scandal

Tropical Storm Watch issued for NC, SC coasts